Blog for Week 10: Interview

 

Social media continues to charge forward every day as a significant pastime for people, especially adolescents. With it, kids can communicate with friends, indulge in their passions and interests, and be introduced to old and new experiences. As brought out by Bronwyn Williams, “Online media technologies have allowed students to construct new performances of identity and yet also reinforce existing social identities from their face-to-face relationships” (Williams, 2013, pg. 300). I decided to interview my 14-year-old twin nieces (we will call them “A” and “B”), as they both just recently got Instagram accounts and also listen to music through the Apple Music platform. I wanted to see how much their social media has impacted their lives so far.

First, I asked them how much time they spend on Instagram per day. They told me about 3 hours. When asked what kind of posts they like to see, B said “I like makeup [tutorials], and funny videos and stuff,” while A agreed and added “guitar stuff too.” This spoke to her aspirations to learn guitar; the twins have their own band with a few friends. B plays bass. Their parents try to monitor how much time they spend on the site. A told me they “say it’s time to get off, maybe go on a walk or read a book or something.” I agree with this kind of intervention; kids need time away from the computer regularly.

As to the advantages of Instagram, both girls say they prefer to observe content on Instagram rather than make it. B tells me “I like seeing other people’s posts… I don’t really post much.” She continues, “it’s entertaining.” I asked them when they do post something, do they get upset when they don’t get “likes.” B said “obviously you want likes,” although both agreed that they “don’t really care.” When asked about the dangers, both girls agreed that there are “a lot,” although they admit they have only heard stories about them on the news rather than having encountered them personally. A tells me “that’s why dad wants us to keep our account private,” while B adds “there’s a lot of creeps out there!”

As suggested earlier, music is a substantial interest for the twins as well.  Ocana-Fernandez and Reyes-Lopez point out that—even from an early age—kids’ “‘favourite songs’ are part of a common language through which they recognise, find, censor and accept themselves and each other, both individually and collectively” (Ocana-Fernandez & Reyes-Lopez, 2019). When listening to music, both girls use the social media platform Apple Music. B comments on the convenience of the site: “let’s say I don’t have the album, I just listen to it on my phone.” However, both girls’ “favorite way” to listen to music is by listening to “full albums” on vinyl records, having been introduced to the practice by their older brother. They tell me they like the retro feel of records, and they have amassed quite an impressive collection of albums so far. A tells me “it’s cooler.” In addition, I find that their musical tastes are impressively diverse for 14-year-olds. B lists some of her favorite artists being “Billie Eilish, Nirvana and Taylor Swift.” A agrees with these artists, and adds that she likes “some Pink Floyd.” This again speaks to their access to social media and the internet to introduce musical variety, yet they may also be influenced heavily by their father and older siblings, who are avid music fans as well.

Finally, I asked them how they would feel if their parents took away their social media. B says “I’d feel a little annoyed” but not “heartbroken.” She adds, “I’d get over it” and “move on.” A adds that “sometimes when I take a little break” from social media, “I do a lot more, like I have a more productive day.” This attitude really surprised me. With how many teenagers are obsessed with Instagram and other platforms, these were some refreshing responses. I feel parents should make sure their kids have a healthy balance.

Through this interview, I learned quite a bit more about my nieces and their interests. They are quickly growing up and becoming their own people who make me proud, and this was a great way to pick their brains. I feel like connecting with children like this is a terrific way to gain insight into their passions and try to relate, by tailoring curriculum or just showing you care about them.   

  

References:

Lankshear & Knobel. (2013). A New Literacies Reader: Educational Perspectives. Peter Lang Publishing, Inc: New York.

Ocaña-Fernández, Almudena; Reyes-López, Mª Luisa. (2019) ‘My favorite song’: understanding a music learning ecology of children from interaction among media, family and school contexts. British Journal of Music Education; Cambridge. Vol. 36, Iss. 2,  (Jul 2019): 113-123. DOI:10.1017/S0265051719000081

Comments

  1. Hi Joe,

    Great interview - I especially enjoyed your niece's response regarding that she would have a more productive day if she wasn't able to use technology. Today, we had a group of senior girls get back from a four day back pack trip in the Adirondacks. For the entirety of the trip these girls had no cellphone service and therefor no contact with the outside world. One of the girls today mentioned to me that she had barely touched Instagram since she had gotten back - as she didn't feel the need after four days away. These girls are always on social media in school, so what a realization for her to make! (and quite similar to your niece's response too).
    Technology is a great tool, but its important we all take a step back from it from time to time to help clear our minds. "Disconnect to reconnect".

    Thanks for your post,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog For Week #8

New Literacies: Final Reflection