Blog #11: Gaming in Affinity Spaces

Until I thought about it, I never really considered myself a “gamer,” in the sense that I sit in front of a computer screen with a headset for hours trying to master level after level while communicating with people online. Yet, I do find myself on my phone playing Angry Birds occasionally while a significant amount of time passes. The point is, online gaming has become a gigantic part of popular culture for all sorts of people. Kids especially love gaming. Teachers are recognizing this, and it is even being engrained into school curriculum. On the topic of gaming, James Paul Gee states that “For humans, real learning is always associated with pleasure, is ultimately a form of play” (Gee, 2013, pg. 316). With the vast number of educational games that are available, gaming is quickly becoming a welcomed new literacy.

The game I have chosen to focus on is “Kahoot.” Currently, I use it with my first graders to help me assess their knowledge of the basic ELA skills I am teaching them. The site already has a vast library of games already made to choose from, but I enjoy creating my own games for the kids; it helps me steer the instruction the way I need it to go (plus I like to add little specific things to make my kids laugh occasionally). I create the questions along with the multiple-choice answers, and I can also add graphics and even short videos as visual aids. The students seem to have fun playing the games, and even get excited when I mention we might be playing that day. Their enthusiasm, in turn, inspires me to continue creating the games that cover more topics, and also motivates me to search for even more games to play with the class. Quiz games like Kahoot can work in almost any grade or with any subject. It is an easy way for teachers to make the content area a little more interesting.

The adoption of gaming into learning spaces continues to be studied and built upon. Matthew Coopilton mentions that it “adds urgency to educators’ efforts to implement decades of research on game literacies learning inside and outside of the classroom” (Coopilton, 2022, pg. 223). Expanding on this further, he adds “Critical literacies scholars interested in gaming have begun to call for studying how critical literacies might move beyond… critique towards also imagining future worlds free from [social] oppression. (pg. 224). The Kahoot games I make are simple: they are helping my first-graders with their reading skills. Yet if gaming continues to evolve in this way, it could lead to some astonishing and unifying breakthroughs in education. I for one am eager to see—and perhaps even utilize—whatever results from this.

References:

Coopilton, M. (2022). Critical game literacies and critical speculative imagination: a theoretical and conceptual review. Gamevironments, 17, Article 17. https://doi.org/10.48783/gameviron.v17i17.196

 Lankshear & Knobel (2013). A New Literacies Reader: Educational Perspectives. Peter Lang Publishing, Inc: New York.

Comments

  1. Hi Joe!
    I was a huge gamer growing up. I grew up with all boys, so I just followed whatever they were doing. Even after getting a little older, I played games alone. This died down in high school and my undergraduate years. However, my brother bought me a Nintendo Switch last June for my birthday. It is safe to say I fell in love with playing games again! Whenever I have free time, my boyfriend and I play various games together. I think this helped me understand kids more, too. How can they not love it if I do?!
    Anyways, Kahoot is a great educational game. I also like to use it in "simple" ways so that students don't feel a huge amount of performance pressure knowing the class will know their score. Next year, I want to prep more Kahoot and Blooket games that adhere to my specific curriculum so I can incorporate it more often. It is a great way to get kids engaged and working!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog for Week 10: Interview

Blog For Week #8

New Literacies: Final Reflection